Pages

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Over-Thunked, All Moved In and a Questionable "Quornbread" Recipe

Well hello.

I can't believe it's been 3 weeks since I've posted.  We've had a lot of things to iron out with our move and my hubby's new job.  I don't feel like I've spent an adequate amount of time with our dog, and in reflection on my life at the ripe old age of 28, having moved twice in the last 10 months and changed careers the same amount of times in that period, too I am feeling rather lacking in the friend department in our new city.

I DO have some great close friends, but they're all a drive away.  I've found that I tend to have fewer friends of greater quality than a lot of friends I know very "surface-ically"...if that's even a word.  I'd rather have it this way---  what this means is that I don't always have a lot of week-end plans.  :)

Life at the recruiting firm is interesting.  I found out I am "temporary" like a few other employees who have been temp for 2 years already...although I have full-time employment that "looks" permanent.  Yep.  I get no days off, no paid vacations, no sick days.... and that means no maternity leave, no health care, dental.  Ahhh the joys.

I DID, HOWEVER, BESIDES UNPACKING BOXES THIS WEEKEND MANAGED TO COOK ONE ITEM....to drown my sorrows about the employment pit I find myself in lately....while I find everyone else positions with benefits and a higher hourly rate than I'm getting.

I call it .... "Questionable Quornbread"  because I tried to doctor a recipe to make Cornbread Muffins that looked like this....
Cornbread Muffins



and then when I made it, it was questionable if it was good and if it still constituted cornbread... Clearly, it didn't have the consistency to make cornbread muffins or I wouldn't have smashed it into a pan with a fork.

What resulted was a cornbread flat bread-  completely dense, but still good at the same time.   With chili on the side and coated completely with butter and honey, you don't taste much else.  I'm going to have to do some experimenting with gluten free though.  I used yogurt instead of milk and my stomach handled that better.  I don't think the recipe was equipped for "Greek yogurt" though- which would explain the density of the "Quornbread" I made.

On another note, Jon is gone for the week on business so I'll have some more time to think of better blog posts than about how lonely I am in my new place, how I have no benefits and how poorly my gluten free recipe turned out.   :)

1 comment: